ASUS F556UA-AB54 NB 15.6" FHD Intel Core i5 8GB 256G SSD Windows 10 Laptop (Gold)
Availability: Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Ships from and sold by Buysmart(2nd day shipping available)
( stars, based on 347 reviews)
ASUS NB 15.6" FHD, matte, Gold, Intel Core i5-7200U 2.5 GHz Processor, 8GB DDR4, Intel HD, 256G SSD, DL DVDRW/CD-RW, Windows 10 (64 bit), VGA Camera, Bluetooth 4.1, includes Adapter, User E-Manual, Warranty Card, 1x USB 2.0, 1x USB 3.0, 1x USB3.1 Type C (gen 1), 1x Headphone-out & Audio-in Combo Jack, 1x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert, 1x VGA Port (D-Sub), 1x HDMI, Card Reader
- Amazon Sales Rank: #875 in Personal Computers
- Size: Core i5
- Color: Gold
- Brand: Asus
- Model: F556UA-AB54
- Aspect ratio: 16:9
- Number of items: 1
- Dimensions: 10.10" h x 1.00" w x 15.00" l, 5.10 pounds
- CPU: Core i5-5287U 2.5 GHz
- Memory: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM
- Hard Disk: 256GB
- Graphics: Dedicated
- Processors: 4
- Battery type: Lithium Ion
- Display size: 15.6
- Powerful 15.6" Full HD laptop with latest 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor 2.5 GHz
- Thin and light design for superior portability weighing only 5.1 lbs and 1" thin profile
- Fast memory and storage for superior boot times and multitasking. Equipped with 256GB SSD and 8GB DDR4 RAM
- Extensive connectivity with HDMI/D-SUB/USB Type C, 802.11a/c WiFi, and SD Card Reader
- Long-lasting 38 Whr polymer battery 2.5 times the lifespan of standard Li-ion; NOTE: Check User Manual in Technical Specification before use
Most helpful customer reviews
42 of 42 people found the following review helpful.
Aethestically Pleasing, powerful, non gaming laptop
By Nicholas P.
Very happy with this laptop (i7 8gb version). More than enough power for daily multitasking. Screen and picture are crystal clear. Design is solid, yet aesthetically pleasing which I've seen in no other laptop other than macs, but this Asus rivals, if not beats out the feel of a MacBook.
I'm very surprised there haven't been more purchases or reviews here, but maybe Amazon isn't a popular place for laptop sales. Highly suggest this laptop for any non-gaming, but still high end, not being overly priced, but not an economy purchase either.
Edit 5/10/2017 - Sadly my HD started to fail only a few months in and was probably defected from the start. ASUS has a great warranty on the laptop, but the repair service is a painfully slow process with FedEx and their allowed to give me back a refurbished laptop if they so choose. We'll see what happens.
101 of 112 people found the following review helpful.
A great Budget Laptop that does not skimp on features which can be made even better with a quick inexpensive RAM Upgrade
By Farhan K
[[VIDEOID:7cf97133a8b6bc0d67eab65ed718c970]] This review is of the upgraded F556UA model with a newer 6th Gen 2.3Ghz Intel Core i3 -6100U 'Skylake' Processor (Compared to the 5th Gen Intel Core i3-5010u on the last year's model with 500GB hard-disk). In addition to an updated 6th Gen processor, this laptop also gets a faster DDR4 Ram and a hard disk bump to 1TB which is very good for a budget laptop. I've been using this laptop as my primary laptop for some time now (I usually use a 14" Dell Latitude E5470 with Core i7 & 256 GB SSD). The Following is my take on how the laptop is in its Out of the box (no upgrades) condition:
DESIGN & BUILD QUALITY:
- The laptop is made entirely of Hard-shell plastic with a beautiful looking Deep Blue 'Spun Metal' finish on the lid that is definitely going turn some heads or evoke questions when it catches the light in the right way
- The palm rests and the rest of the inner surface area also has a sliver brushed metal finish that feels nice to touch and rest your hands on.
- At 15.6" Screen size, it isn't the most portable size but its relatively lightweight at 5 lbs making it easy to carry around to school/collage and the ideal size for media consumption
- Overall I would describe the build quality & materials as decent , apart from the spun metal finish lid you do definitely get the impression that this is a budget laptop
REAL LIFE PERFORMANCE & BENCHMARKS:
The 6th Generation Intel Core i3 processors have a significant performance boost over the 5th Generation Core i3 Processor in the previous/500GB model. In synthetic benchmarks the 6th Generation Core i3 processors are comparable in performance to the 5th Generation Core i5 processors!
- The laptop has more than enough processing power to handle whatever you throw at it for daily use. I've used it for accessing my work emails via outlook, created documents and presentations, browsed with 5-6 tabs open at a time, streaming 1080p Netflix movies and even used Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom to manage an edit my photos without any issues or performance hiccups
- The RAM used on this model is the newest DDR4 RAM which is faster and has more bandwidth than the DDR3 RAM used on the previous model
- While 4GB is ok for most everyday uses I would recommend upgrading it to at least 8GB by adding another 4GB (See the RAM Upgrade Section)
- Even when I was running intensive performance benchmarks on the laptop, its keyboard area never got hot which means the laptop has a good cooling system and the typing surface is well isolated
- The battery lasts about 3 hours for me with moderate use
KEYBOARD & TOUCHPAD:
-The laptop features a full-fledged keyboard with a numeric keypad. The keys are standard chicklet type keys that are large and widely spaced making typing a breeze once you get accustomed to it
-There is only a moderate amount of flex in the keyboard, not any more than what you'd expect from a plastic frame - Even my much more expensive Dell Latitude E5470 has similar amounts of flex
-In terms of the typing experience on the keyboard its average at best. The biggest reason for this is that the travel distance of the keys is too shallow and they feel mushy - Unlike my Dell or a Macbook Pro for that instance where the keys travel deeper and feel firmer providing a tactile feedback.
-Having said that it’s still comfortable to type on once you get used to it. In fact this entire review was written on this laptop
- The touchpad is great for single finger tracking but gets a bit wonky from time to time with two finger scrolling
DISPLAY & SOUND:
- It has a full 1080P HD display which is rare for budget laptops in this price range, this means movies and text are crisp with sharp outlines
- Because this is a budget laptop it not use an IPS display panel found on more expensive laptops. As a result the you have slightly washed out colors and very narrow viewing angles
-Colors invert very quickly and you’ll find yourself adjusting the monitoring angle often if you shift positions in your chair (see pics)
- The SonicMaster speakers on the laptop are surprisingly good and give off rich and full sound which is decent enough for watching movies
-The laptop supports the latest wireless A/C protocols and I never had any issues with WiFi dropping or slowdowns in speeds
-There are plenty of connectivity options with 2 USB 2.0 ports, 1 USB 3.0 Port, USB-C, HDMI, Latest Bluetooth 4.1 protocol, SD Card reader, VGA Port, HDMI Port, LAN port, VGA Camera and a DVD writer which is again more than expected for a Budget laptop
-For a budget laptop it does not skimp on features and has a newer 6th Gen Core i3 processor, DD4 RAM, Full HD display support for latest connectivity options (WiFi, Bluetooth, USB 3.0 and USB-C)
-Powerful enough for almost for everyday use including running Photoshop & Lightroom
-Generous 15.6” 1080 display size is ideal for media consumption with crisp text
-Surprisingly good sound for a laptop
-Dos not get hot even under high workloads
-Main components like RAM, Hard disk can be upgraded easily
THE NOT SO GOOD:
-The TFT display has narrow viewing angles & the colors invert very quickly
-Because it uses a mechanical Hard disk and 4GB it’s a bit noisy with the HDD ticking sound occurring frequently
-Average battery life of about 3 hours with moderate use
-Non replaceable battery
-Potato quality webcam
The Asus F556UA laptop is a solid budget laptop with a 6th Gen Core i3 processor & fast DDR4 memory which makes is powerful enough for everything that I threw at it for my everyday computing needs and had plenty of storage to boot and is definitely one of the better choices to consider if you’re looking for a good value for money laptop
A NOTE ON UPGRADING THE RAM:
I personally upgraded the RAM on this laptop to 8GB and would recommend the same, as a quick $20 upgrade made the following very noticeable differences in the performance of this laptop:
-Applications appears to run much faster now, especially when using Chrome
-The laptop runs much quieter now as more information can be left cached on the RAM not only making apps perform better and reduces number of times the Hard disk needs to be accessed for accessing cached data
-I’ve made a short video of the RAM upgrade process, in case you’d like to try it out
-This is the memory stick I used, while its not an endorsement of the RAM but just sharing that I’ve had good experience with it : Silicon Power 4GB Memory Module for Laptops 4 DDR4 2133 (PC4 2133) SO-DIMM SP004GBSFU213N02
- Irrespective of the the RAM brand you use, please make sure that the RAM you purchase is DDDR4 2133Mhz as mixing different types, speeds of RAM can cause stability issues
21 of 23 people found the following review helpful.
We have a winner!
By Amazon Customer
Sensing my old netbook was on the way out, I searched for months for the best computer I could afford without draining my bank account. I read every review, watched every video, compared specs, asked friends for advice, visited computers in stores, and when my old computer finally died, this was the winner! I could not be more pleased or impressed with this machine. First of all, it's beautiful. I don't see where the complaints of "flimsyness," come from. It's made of plastic, yes. But it feels sturdy and the color is lovely. Some reviews said that the screen isn't the best, but to these eyes, it's really nice. I like the matte finish and have no trouble finding good viewing angles. It's lightening fast, quiet, and the keyboard feels great to type on. In the sub-$600 category, this computer takes the cake with a SSD, not a clunky HDD that's prone to failure, a latest generation i5 processor, good RAM and little to no bloatware. At time that I write this review, no other computer offers so much in terms of value and quality. If you've been agonizing over which computer to buy with your hard earned money, in my opinion, this is the hands-down best option out there!