ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop (Intel Core i7, GTX 960M, 8GB DDR4, 512GB SSD) Glacier Grey
( stars, based on 498 reviews)
ASUS Gray Metal Notebook K501UW-AB78, 15.6" FHD (19201080), Matte, Intel Dual-Core i7-6500U, Intel HD graphics 520, 8GB DDR4, NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M, 2GB GDDR5, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 (64bit), 802.11AC, Bluetooth 4.0
- Amazon Sales Rank: #1719 in Personal Computers
- Color: brushed aluminum
- Brand: Asus
- Model: K501UW-AB78
- Aspect ratio: 16:9
- Number of items: 1
- Dimensions: .80" h x 10.00" w x 15.60" l, 4.40 pounds
- CPU: Intel Core i7 2.5 GHz
- Memory: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM
- Hard Disk: 512GB
- Graphics: Integrated
- Processors: 2
- Battery type: Lithium Ion
- Display size: 15.6
- Powerful 6th-generation Intel Core i7-6500U 2.5GHz (Turbo up to 3.1GHz). Skylake
- 15.6 inches Matte FHD display. 1920 by 1080 resolution. Windows 10 Operating System.
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M gaming graphic card; 8GB RAM; 512GB SSD Storage.
- Gigabit Dual-Band 802.11AC ultra-fast Wi-Fi.
- 2x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0, 1x Headphone-out & Audio-in Combo Jack, 1x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert, 1x HDMI, 1x Card Reader
Most helpful customer reviews
458 of 473 people found the following review helpful.
Awesome Laptop - easy upgrade to dual channel
I've had this laptop for over a month now. Agreed with most of other reviewers. Light weight 4.4 lbs, backlit keyboard, aluminum finish on top cover, I7 CPU, 8GB of DDR4, 512 GB SSD. Screen is not IPS but matted and 1080P.
I already upgraded the bios twice. Just follow the steps in eManual. You can find the eManual under Start, All Apps, ASUS, eManual. If you are not comfortable with bios upgrade, don't do it. As you may turn your laptop into a brick.
Battery life is good. I got on average 5 hours of watching Hulu or Netflix. Surfing the web maybe 6 hours. Based on some battery experts' discussions, they suggest not to completely drain or fully charge lithium battery. They said do it between 40% - 80% will prolong the life of lithium battery. I've been trying to do this. Hope the practice will make the battery lasts for years.
I confirm that this laptop came with 1 stick of 8GB DDR4 by running CPU-Z (a free software you can download to monitor and show PC hardware components). As shown in the Before Upgrade picture below, it is a single 8 GB DDR4 and the motherboard is running Single Channel with 15-15-15.
Since I will be doing video editing with this laptop, I started researching if it is possible to get another brand of 8 GB DDR4 stick to make it 16GB and Dual Channel. The answer was as long as the DDR4 stick has the same specs even if it is different brand, the motherboard should run as dual channel. Some discussions from Tomshardware say for some memory intensive programs, Dual Channel can have up to 20% increase in performance.
Found this crucial DDR4 8 GB stick on Amazon:
Received the ram yesterday. Installation was easy. Remove the 10 bottom screws. Put them on the desk in the same layout ( a rectangle ) as you remove them since the screws are in 3 different sizes. Use finger nail to gently ply open a little from back of the cover. Then open the rest with an old credit card. Gently open the silver metal box. Insert the ram. Put the cover and screws back.
Once boot up, the laptop will recognize the new ram automatically. No need to do anything. CPU-Z now shows the motherboard is running Dual Channel with 16GB of ram as shown below in the After Upgrade picture.
79 of 81 people found the following review helpful.
Unbeatable Performance for this Price-Level (Engineering Student's Review)
First, I want to address a concern I had over this laptop's price listing. The current 'sale' for this product is simply a permanent price reduction for this laptop line because ASUS is most likely clearing its inventory of laptops with previous generation Intel CPUs (Skylake).
With that out of the way, here are what I think are the objective pros and cons of this machine.
- Solid build quality with regards to materials used. I was fully expecting plastic to be the predominant material but the only plastic regions are the bottom of the laptop and around the display. The rest of the laptop is comprised of an aluminum finish.
- For a gaming laptop, it is surprisingly light. I believe it is around 4.4 lbs and would have some people mistaking it for an Ultrabook.
- The battery life is also relatively high considering it's specs. The laptop automatically switches between the integrated Intel graphics and the 960M GPU to conserve power. The i7-6500U is also a dual-core (2 physical cores and 4 logical cores) CPU that also undervolts itself in idle settings to save power. Expect around ~5-6 hours of regular (non-gaming) use on Battery Saver.
- The performance is nothing short of amazing. I routinely run applications such as AutoCAD, Inventor, and Overwatch and the machine has yet to give me any rough patches in performance. For reference, I run Overwatch at medium to high settings with consistent 60 FPS. The CPU and GPU along with the 8 GB of DDR4 RAM will handle pretty much any computationally or graphically intensive task.
- A back-lit keyboard is always nice to have.
- Accurate and responsive trackpad. Better than the trackpads I've used on my previous HP and Acer laptops.
- The display is definitely the weakest point of this laptop. There is a reason why almost every other lukewarm or negative review for this laptop cites the display as a con as well. The screen is some sort of TN type display that renders highly-saturated colors in certain applications (not all) into 'fuzzy' blots of color. It isn't really a deal-breaker for me but I can see why it would bother others. This problem does not exist when you're using an external display. Viewing angles are okay. The display is also matte (NOT glossy) but this is a matter of preference.
- The fan 'issue' that many other reviews seem to talk about is extremely easy to fix. Simply go to Control Panel, Hardware & Sound, Power Options, Advanced Power Settings, and adjust the fan frequency using the Cooling Management Options. It's as if people don't know how to Google answers for their problems.
319 of 360 people found the following review helpful.
Fellow buyer, not a freebee vine guy....
By Wyrless Freequincy
Alright just a brief summary first and I'll get to the pros and cons. I've used this laptop a few days, and I've got to say, I've probably never liked a laptop more than ever. It's light, fast with regards to opening programs and boot time, its got a nice big ssd, room for upgrades like a 2.5in hard drive and 1 SO-DIMM 2133mhz 8gb stick of ram to make this a 16gb ram laptop, but I felt the keyboard was a bit wierd because of the key texture, the size of the numpad numbers (i use a pin for my windows log in and just used to the regular sized keys) and the cooling could be better gaming wise. The reason the cooling configuration could be better because when you're gaming the gpu and cpu are throttled. This is fixed with either a homemade standoff with the laptop or a laptop fan stand. And other than that, the touchpad, bluetooth, wifi and everything else was pretty good.
So here it is, the Pros:
Its light, you can have it on your lap and it wont heat up (major bonus points because I would love to have a non heavy laptop that you can game on the desk, but also use on your lap for less intensive stuff, its upgrade-able and the touchpad, it feels good and pressure you need to click is just right. Oh and the back panel is easy to remove, and its held on by clips after the screws so be gentle when removing the back panel.
Throttling due to low rise of the laptop through its rubber studs, the screen is not an IPS or higher quality, the ram is soldered, and the solid state drive has a capacity of only 476gb instead of being near 512..... and the back panel has so many screws....
Also soon i'll be posting some framerate tests for some modern games and some classic favorites (skyrim, fallout 3, etc) on my channel, aswell as a review: Just look for Wyrless Freequincy
Edit: Its confirmed that this laptop does indeed have ddr4 ram.
Just in case link doesnt work: /watch?v=a4gWz7M2590