Garmin eTrex 20x
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com
( stars, based on 260 reviews)
The new eTrex 20x is our upgraded version of the popular eTrex 20, with enhanced screen resolution and expandedinternal memory so you can download a greater variety of maps than ever. This rugged, dependable GPS retains the easeof-use and affordability that eTrex is legendary for, with an array of compatible mounts for use on ATVs, bicycles, boatsand cars. The new eTrex 20x also has the ability to track both GPS and GLONASS satellites simultaneously. It supportsgeocaching GPX files for downloading geocaches and details straight to your unit.
- Size: 2.2 inches
- Color: Black, Orange
- Brand: Garmin
- Model: 010-01508-00
- Number of items: 1
- Dimensions: 1.30" h x 4.00" w x 2.10" l, .31 pounds
- UPGRADED DISPLAY - Features a 2.2" 65K color sunglight readable display offering increased resolution (240 x 320 pixels)
- LOAD MORE MAPS - Large 3.7 GB of internal memory and microSD card slot lets you load a variety of maps, including TOPO 24K, HuntView, BlueChart g2, City Navigator NT and BirdsEye Satellite Imagery (subscription required)
- PRELOADED BASEMAP - Includes a worldwide basemap with shaded relief
- KEEP YOUR FIX - With its high-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver, HotFix satellite prediction and GLONASS support, eTrex locates your position quickly and precisely and maintains its location even in heavy cover and deep canyons
Most helpful customer reviews
172 of 179 people found the following review helpful.
An Excellent Low-Cost GPS
By Just Another Reviewer
This review is originally posted for the older eTrex 20 but is still applicable to the newly upgraded eTrex 20X since the OS stays the same. My eTrex 20 is still going strong and delivers every time.
Update 6/26/2016 Just completed a Norway Fjord Tour carrying my faithful eTrex 20 recording the traveling route while side-seeing Oslo, having ferry crossings and fjord cruises on Hardangerfjord, Sognefjord and Geirangerfjord, riding on the Myrdal-to-Flam scenic train, enjoying the zigzag mountain roads like Eagles road and Troll road, and visiting the low-elevation Briksdal Glacier. After returning I reviewed my journey with the recorded gpx files on Google Map and Google Earth.
Update 8/12/2015 Returned from a Baltic Cruise visiting various cities/countries along the Baltic coast. With the country maps downloaded from the websites mentioned in the review, I was able to navigate the ports and returned to the ship safely and on time.
Update 3/8/2014 Just returned from a hiking trip in Patagonia, my Etrex 20 performed extremely well. I viewed my trails on Google Earth and Map using the GPX files I recorded while walking in the cities, sailing in the lakes, hiking on the mountains and even trekking on the Perito Moreno Glacier. The maps I used are downloaded from the web links shown below.
Update 8/19/2013 I have extensively used my Etrex 20 during my recent trip to the Pacific Northwest visiting many national parks with excellent performance. Both GPS and GLONASS were turned on. With full view of sky, the accuracy is 7-9 ft. During the hikes in the Olympic NP rain forest with tree tops over head, its accuracy is 20 to 30 ft.
Etrex 20 is an excellent GPS unit with many features but requires a steep learning curve for a first time GPS user. These are my lessons learned:
1. Make sure to download Garmin's BaseCamp and update Etrex's software via BaseCamp before doing anything else. BaseCamp is a PC program complimentary to the Etrex.
BaseCamp is an excellent computer application for viewing maps, storing and organizing data, planning outdoor activities, and creating and sharing your adventures. With BaseCamp, you can:
* Import and view maps in 2-D or 3-D, including your TOPO U.S. maps and City Navigator® maps.
* Create, edit and organize routes, waypoints and more on your computer.
* Create and share Garmin Adventures.
* View playback of routes, tracks and adventures.
The manual and the intro videos for BaseCamp:
2. Free Garmin-compatible maps can be downloaded from
gpsfiledepot.com, (topo maps)
3. There is a 3000-tile limit for the maps installed on the unit. Since installing maps to the "Garmin" folder on the SD card using MapInstall takes a long, long time, here is my trick to just install once all the maps you want and you can get access to all your maps quickly using a PC.
Create a folder named "Extra Maps" inside the "Garmin" folder on the SD card, and move all extra maps you will need later into the "Extra Maps" folder. This will largely avoid exceeding the 3000 tile issues because Etrex only loads the maps in the "Garmin" folder but not the maps in the "Extra Maps" folder. You can then move maps between the two folders based on your needs.
4. These programs will come in handy: GPX Editor, GPSBabel and JaVaWa Device Manager in addition to BaseCamp.
58 of 60 people found the following review helpful.
By Doc Rojas
We picked this up to start Geoching. We LOVE it! Good price and you can download the cache locations GPX files from geocaching.com. It took us to about 5 ft of each cache so far. The only problem we are having is as soon as you stop your location drifts a little. Other than that we are very happy with it.
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful.
I really like all the newer features and abilities on this device
By Amazon Customer
This was a replacement for a 10 year old model that finally gave up. I really like all the newer features and abilities on this device. It has just about any type of Georgia coordinate you could want and I find that very convenient. The description on Amazon was very accurate about its features.