TomTom VIA 1515M 5-Inch Portable Touchscreen Car GPS Navigation Device - Lifetime Map Updates
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com
( stars, based on 740 reviews)
The VIA 1515M is perfect for anyone who wants to travel throughout the US, Canada and Mexico. It also comes with Free Lifetime Map Updates, so your maps change when the roads do, for the life of your VIA. Every device in this series includes our TomTom Maps with IQ Routes and Map Share technology. These devices keep you up-to-date with dynamic road changes on a daily basis, with maps that cover the US, Canada, and Mexico.
- Size: 5-Inch
- Color: black
- Brand: TomTom
- Model: 1EN5.017.10
- Number of items: 1
- Dimensions: 3.70" h x 1.30" w x 5.30" l, .48 pounds
- TOUCHSCREEN DISPLAY: 5-Inch Touchscreen Display with Split Screen Junction View
- FREE LIFETIME MAP UPDATES: Enjoy at least 4 full map updates per year at no extra cost for your navigation device
- IQ ROUTES: Using the world's biggest database of real travel times, the TomTom VIA GPS navigation devices will give you the fastest routes and most accurate arrival times
- CLEAR AND EASY NAVIGATION: Never miss a turn again with Advanced Lane Guidance. Get extra clarity when navigating complex junctions.
- EXPANSIVE MAP COVERAGE: Ready to navigate with the latest maps of the US, Canada, and Mexico already installed.
- EASYPORT CAR MOUNT: Travel in style with the new, slim design and integrated Fold and Go EasyPort mount.Lifetime Maps (US, Canada, Mexico)
Most helpful customer reviews
324 of 337 people found the following review helpful.
Good GPS with few drawbacks
[[VIDEOID:d49938a5524d6189857b0a4dc720a84]] I have received portable VIA 1515M auto GPS from TomTom 1 day after ordering online. The GPS came in a hard cover box. The GPS was secure sealed and not broken. I tried it the same day. Here are my findings:
What I liked:
- free lifetime updates for North America map. Full map coverage includes all 50 US States, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and US Virgin Islands.
- has 3D map view and real time traffic updates
- has split screen junction view (2 views at once)
- has big 5’’ touchscreen
- slim design
- dual mounting system
- Over 10 mln point of interests (POI)
- has well working Text-to-Speech, Lane Assist, Voice Command and Turn-by-turn guidance
- uses USB for charging. Its very convenient as you can get now USB charger for cars with 4 ports and may easily connect not only your GPS but a phone or 2 to charge simultaneously
- has micro SD card slot for other / more maps
- has pedestrian mode
- covered with 1 year limited manufacture warranty
What I did not like:
- This GPS works slower than my old TomTom GO730. It takes it longer to plan routes and reroute. The RAM is smaller. If planning on big trips it can have some effect because of the time needed to wait for getting new routes.
- easyport mount is not removable from TomTom device. Its more convenient to be able to separate it from the device thus no need to stick it on window every time.
- does not have Bluetooth
- does not have voice recognition, no WAAS and no MP3 playback
- short battery life (3 hours)
- Height 5.38’’ in (13.66 cm)
- Width 3.75’’ in (9.52 cm)
- Depth 1.38’’ in (3.5 cm)
- Weight 0.481 pounds (218.17 gr)
- Tom Tom VIA 1515M device
- Easyport windshield mount
- Car charger
- USB cable for computer
- Free lifetime maps
- Adhesive disk
- Owner’s manual
This video review is for the TomTom portable GPS VIA 1515M model # 1EN5.052.08
I have paid full price for the TomTom VIA 1515M 5.0" GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps. I am not affiliate with TomTom or the seller of TomTom GPSs. If you found this review to be helpful, please click the "Yes" button below. Thanks!
233 of 242 people found the following review helpful.
Did not purchase this at Amazon, but only because the day before we left on a long trip, we decided to replace the Garmin GPS that we both disliked immensely. So we ran out and got this unit from a local store and we absolutely love it.
We had no problems with it at all and found the features to be very handy. The pictures make your route extremely clear and the color choices available make the screens easy to see no matter whether it's day or night. We previously had a TomTom for about 6 years and when that started having issues we replaced it with a Garmin that we did not like at all.
If you need a great, easy to understand GPS with a lot of features, this is the one for you.
104 of 107 people found the following review helpful.
A Good and Reliable Device For the Money
By Martin J. Schwartz
I bought this as a replacement to an older Magellan model. I had previously only used Magellans (three of them), but had decided that I wanted to try something new. We got it just in time for a major two-week road trip from Florida to Michigan and then back.
Right out of the gate I was surprised and pleased with the online updating interface. Magellan's protocol was always clunky, and Tom Tom has perfected the process. It's literally plug-and-play (I use a Mac), and while not necessarily speedy (I guess it took about 10-12 minutes), it was really pretty easy.
The thing that one has to wrap their head around is that no GPS is perfect. I did experience some of the complaints that other users have mentioned in their own comments. Some of the criticisms I thought were valid, others didn't bother me. For instance, someone wrote that the device is slow to announce a road or freeway entrance, and that it doesn't happen until you're already making the turn. This is sadly true in many (but not all) instances. If you're a fast driver who likes to ride other people's bumpers (you know who you are), then this device will probably react too slowly for you. I, on the other hand, am one of those conservative, right-lane drivers who doesn't drive fast. Consequently, I was nearly always able to hear the name of the road or exit in time.
Another complaint is that the sound control isn't available on the main screen; you have to press a button each time to find it. I did find this to be true. However, you only have to press once and the sound display (including mute) is large and easy to operate quickly. In fact, I like that you don't have to un-mute it to re-start the sound again. Instead, you just press once and the sound comes back immediately.
I do find the Points of Interest feature to be somewhat clunky. Magellan's categories were much more robust (i.e. "grocery", "pharmacy," etc.), and Tom Tom has fewer, and also uses a few terms that are somewhat vague or unclear. That said, we were still able to find nearly everything we were looking for in the few times that we used it. Thankfully for the most part, we almost always either knew the address and/or the name of the business.
I do recommend that you go into settings and un-check the option for it to read entire overhead road signs for all state road and interstate designations. It got to be a mouthful to hear when you're in a major metropolitan area, and usually all you want to know is the primary highway name. It was great about saying "stay left" or "stay right" when you had an upcoming highway intersection or fork.
For the money, this is a really good unit. It isn't perfect, but you just have to remember that NONE of them are.